The other day I was visiting some family back in Arkansas when a snow storm suddenly came and blanketed the state in snow. Upon awaking, I had the task of driving back home through this freshly snow-covered land. On my drive (I had plenty of hours to think about this) I realized that driving in the snow is a lot like working towards our goals.
As I drove carefully up and down the hills of the beautiful state, I saw miles and miles of trees and grass-covered with up to two feet or more of snow. The road conditions were not great but they were drivable. With my hands firmly on the wheel, my eyes fixed on the road ahead, and my heart beat pounding at double speed, I carried on with determination to make it home.
The good news is that I made it safe and without a problem. However, I may have shaved off a few years of my life from the stress I endured. Being that I traveled this journey alone, I did have a lot of time to think and converse with God. That my friend, is always an enjoyable time and always well worth the price.
One thing that I learned on my trip was that driving on roads covered in snow and ice is very much like our journey when working towards a goal or chasing our destiny. Below are seven of the ways I thought about along the way:
- Use both hands – While working on your dream, always be fully involved. To do that you must have both hands on the wheel. That way if anything crosses your path or you hit a bump in the road, you can make quicker maneuvers to avoid them and recover.
- Watch the other drivers closely – You always have to know what is coming your way. Watching all those around you with a sharp eye will lessen the chance of being blindsided. Some may wreck your goals on purpose and some on accident. Either way, if you have them in your sights you are less likely to be hit.
- Be cautious but keep moving – Working towards your goal is never without problems and issues. If they are then the goal is not big enough. You will have times that the journey gets hard. However, never let that stop you. Always proceed with caution but never stop moving forward!
- Pray for safety – When driving in snow or trekking down the path to your goals, always pray to God for direction and safety. Ask Him to travel with you and protect your journey along the way.
- Constantly watch the road for slick spots – Achieving your goals can be slippery sometimes and when you start to spin out of control, it is natural to panic. When you do this you normally end up in the ditch. Best thing to do is always be on the lookout for those things that will cause you to slide or stumble. Then you can make proper adjustments to avoid them ahead of time.
- Stay focused – It is easy sometimes to get distracted along our travels. Always remember that it is only you at the wheel and your goals are dependant on your moves. Stay focused on the goal and do not let the little things distract you. Especially the funny snowmen.
- Enjoy the view – Many times we get so wrapped up in the goal and working for that finish line that we forget to take in all the fun and excitement along the way. While you are driving, take time to enjoy the view and cherish it.
Listen to something that grows you – While in the vehicle you might as well listen to something that builds your life. I love to listen to books, devotionals, and Christian/praise and worship music. As long as you are traveling, why not spend the time wisely and allow yourself to grow through listening?
Get Going On Your Goals!
Just like traveling in snow, working towards a goal is not always easy nor smooth sailing. It takes time, determination, and God to get you there. When you do arrive, it is always worth it and usually gives you a great feeling of accomplishment. Oh, and tired. Very tired.
If you have a goal in mind, I encourage you to get going on it right now. Don’t let the road ahead scare you from taking the challenge. One thing that is for certain, if you never start then you will never arrive.
Make the decision today to take that brave step of faith and place it firmly on your destined path. Become determined to make your desires a reality. When you do, excitement will fill your body and you will vibrate with such enthusiasm knowing you are finally going to make it happen!